Clean drinking water is fundamental for good health. But the truth is, home tap water is far from healthy. It is proven that tap waters contain a vast array of disinfection byproducts, chemicals, heavy metals and even pharmaceutical drugs. Among the most dangerous contaminants are fluoride and arsenic.
The USGS National Water-Quality Assessment Program finds natural groundwater contamination to be one reason why the level of arsenic is so high in US tap waters. And that several types of cancers have been linked to arsenic in water.
According to Live Science writer Douglas Main, the most commonly used form of fluoride added to drinking water supplies also tends to be contaminated with arsenic. He writes,
“In early August, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is set to decide on a petition to change the source of fluoride in US drinking water.
Currently, the source of fluoride in most public water supplies is fluorosilicic acid, according to government records. The petition calls for the EPA to instead require the use of pharmaceutical-grade sodium fluoride in water fluoridation, which is the addition of fluoride to drinking water for the purpose of preventing cavities.
Fluorosilicic acid is often contaminated with arsenic, and recent research has linked the arsenic from fluorosilicic acid in drinking water to as many as 1,800 extra cases of cancer yearly in the United States…”
The petition was submitted by EPA insider William Hirzy, who worked for the EPA for 27 Years. He now is a chemistry researcher at the American University in Washington, D.C.
His team is attempting to convince authorities use a milder form of fluoridation contamination. They conducted a study entitled: "Comparison of hydrofluorosilicic acid and pharmaceutical sodium fluoride as fluoridating agents – a cost-benefit analysis", in the journal Environmental Science & Policy.
According to their findings, switching the type of fluoride used to pharmaceutical-grade sodium fluoride would reduce the amount of inorganic arsenic contamination in drinking water by 99 percent.
Although no level of contamination is healthy, it is one small step forward to eliminating fluoride in tap water completely. Sign the petition here.
Inorganic Arsenic and Cancer Risks
Inorganic arsenic is an extremely toxic carcinogen that has been linked to an increased risk of several types of cancer. In 2001, EPA lowered the maximum level of arsenic permitted in drinking water from 50 ug/L to 10 ug/L (or 10 parts per billion (ppb)) due to the established cancer risk.
How much contamination is acceptable to you?
The Natural Resources Defense Council estimates a staggering fact that as many as 56 million Americans living in 25 states are drinking water with arsenic at unsafe levels.
"Chronic inorganic arsenic exposure is known to be associated with adverse health effects on several systems of the body, but is most known for causing specific types of skin lesions (sores, hyper-pigmentation, and other lesions) and increased risks of cancer of the lungs and skin," According to the EPA.
Here’s the EPA’s list of conditions of chronic arsenic exposure:
- Kidney damage and failure
- Low blood pressure
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Adverse liver and respiratory effects, including irritation of mucous membranes
- Skin lesion
In Pregnancy During Development:
- Increased incidence of preterm delivery
- low birth weight
- infant mortality
- Decreased performance in tests of intelligence and long-term memory.
Fluoride Poison in Tap Water
All tap drinking water in the US is fluoridated no matter where you live. That means, a toxic waste from the phosphate fertilizer industry called hydrofluorosilicic acid gets dumped in your city water supply.
It is a form of fluoride that is not medical.
It is loaded with other dangerous substances to consume such as arsenic, radionucleotides, aluminum and other industrial contaminants.
We are led to believe that fluoridation of our tap is good for our children’s teeth to prevent cavities. Have you ever noticed the “Keep Away from Children” warning notice on your toothpaste box? Numerous studies have proven that water fluoridation poses grave health risks to infants and children reducing their IQ level. Arsenic exposure in utero and during early childhood is detrimental to children’s health, as it can cause irreversible harm to children’s brain development, and their endocrine and immune systems.
- One such study shows, a six times higher lung cancer death rate. Their mortality rate in their 30s and 40s from another form of lung disease was almost 50 times higher than for people without that arsenic exposure.
- Another revealed, children exposed to arsenic in drinking water at levels above 5 ppb had lower IQ scores. Earlier studies have linked chronic arsenic exposure to a range of cognitive dysfunctions, including learning disabilities, memory problems, poor concentration, and peripheral and central neuropathies.
- And a more recent 2011 study examined long-term effects of low-level exposure on more than 300 rural Texans whose groundwater was estimated to have arsenic at median levels below the federal drinking-water standard. It also found that exposure was related to poor scores in language, memory, and other brain functions.
UltraWater Filtration Is A Must for Clean, Healthy Tap Water
We strongly recommend using a high-quality water filtration system unless you can verify the purity of your water.
To be absolutely certain you are getting the cleanest healthiest water you’ll need to filter the water both at the point of entry and at the point of use. This means filtering all the water that comes into your house, and then filtering again at the kitchen sink. We recommended installation of a whole house water filtration system, and/or Reverse Osmosis (R/O) to purify home tap water. When you use R/O, be sure to remineralize the water for use with your water ionizer.
Discover these incredible UltraWater Filters exclusive for Alkaviva Water Ionizers. UltraWater filters remove fluoride, arsenic and all other contaminates to scientifically non-detectable levels.
Other Water Filters: Ultra Water Filters | Water Ionizers: Alkaviva Water Ionizers
Useful Resource Links
- Fluoride: Beneficial or Toxic?
- EPA.gov Drinking Water Quality Reports
- Good Environment Tap Water Contaminants Graph
- Fluoride Action Network
- Natural Resources Defense Council, Arsenic in Drinking Water
- USGS.gov, Arsenic in Groundwater of the US